Tour added to wishlist!
Support Center
Call us, we're open today 10-6 EST / 7-3 PST Open today 10-6 EST / 7-3 PST 18007151746 18007151746
Loading results
Loading your trip
Need a last minute getaway? Great savings on
Last minute tours

Will my Europe trip be affected by Brexit?

We answer your biggest questions about how Brexit might impact your European travel plans.


Can I still travel on my current passport freely in Europe?

Currently UK passport holders can travel to the EU as long as long as they have at least 6 months validity left on it from the day of departure and it is less than 10 years old (even if it has 6 months or more left).This applies to both adults and children.  

Please ensure you check your passport validity when booking your trip.


Will there be any changes at border crossings?

When entering and exiting countries, it is your responsibility to give yourself extra time to get through the immigration queues in the airports as there will be delays. We may have to organise our transfers slightly to help with this and ensure that you have extra time.


Can I still use my EHIC card?

Current European Health Insurance Cards (EHIC) are valid as long as they are in date and people can continue to use these when travelling to the EU. A new Global Health Insurance Card (GHIC) has now been launched as part of UK / EU deal, this will gradually replace existing EHIC. The new GHIC card is free to obtain from the official GHIC website. People should apply at least two weeks before they plan to travel to ensure their card arrives on time. Both cards will offer equivalent protection for emergency and medically necessary healthcare needs when in the EU on a temporary stay, which includes holiday, study and business travel.

We always advise taking out a comprehensive travel insurance policy ahead of taking a trip anyway, whether in Europe or further afield. 


I’m planning to visit Europe – will I need a visa?

From 1 January 2025, all UK citizens will need to register for an ETIAS (European Travel Information and Authorisation System) visa-waiver. The cost will be around €7 and the visa-waiver will be valid for a three year period.


What about data roaming?

Free data roaming is no longer guaranteed now the UK has left the EU, therefore you need to be aware of any additional charges for using your phone and data abroad. Most of our properties have complimentary Wi-Fi for guests to use, but please remember that this is for social usage only.


Can I still drive on my current license / vehicle insurance in the EU?

If you are planning on self-driving and taking your own car, please ensure you have purchased an International Driving Permit (available at the Post Office) so you are able to cross borders easily, and make sure that you display a “GB” sticker on your vehicle. If you are hiring a car, ensure you have a green card. In both cases, you must ensure that you have the relevant international driving insurance with your chosen provider.

The UK government have also put together some useful information about holidaying in the EU after Brexit. These resources can be found below:

Guidance for UK nationals travelling to the EU
Healthcare for UK nationals visiting the EU

We’re keeping a close eye on the situation and how it impacts travel, and will update you with any developments. To keep up to date with Explore news, trip launches and special offers, sign up to receive our emails.